blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, December 14, 2002

Review: Evergreen Terrace - Burned Alive by Time

artist: evergreen terrace
album: burned alive by time
label: eulogy recordings
released:

by: rob tatum

Burned Alive by Time is the second full length album from Florida’s Evergreen Terrace. This is their first full length release on Eulogy. The first thing I noticed when I listened to this album is that the production quality is better than their previous releases… although I have still heard some complaints about it… I think it’s fine. It follows typical hardcore fashion, ten songs, clocking in around a half an hour.

The CD starts with an intense, thundering barrage of hardcore, but tails into melody and great musicianship. All staples of the Evergreen Terrace sound. The band embraces the power of a hardcore band but with the ability to create amazing melody, each song pulls you in and you just want to sing along. Musically, the band is loaded with talent. The breakdowns have a lot of energy and the melodies have a ton of heart. The only complaint I have with this band is that they are Christian. This is ordinarily not a big deal to me, especially when they don’t flaunt it, but some of the songs on this record have lyrics that don’t apply to everyone. That really bothers me. “When you're gone no one will miss you and when you're dead no one will cry. Kiss your life goodbye. You believe in nothing.” On those words alone, this album drops from one of the best albums I have heard, to one of the best musically, but sub-par lyrically. I still enjoy this album immensely, as not every song is like that. The best part of this album is the Depeche Mode cover at the end of the last song.

favorite song: "heavy number one (aka: shizzle my nizzle)"

rating: 88%/100%

listen to evergreen terrace


No comments: