blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Monday, December 9, 2002

Review: The Killing Tree - The Romance of Helen Trent

artist: the killing tree
album: the romance of helen trent
label: one day savior records
released: 6/25/02

by: rob tatum

This was one of the most difficult CD’s to find I have ever run across. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place, but I finally tracked it down about two days ago. The Romance of Helen Trent is the first full length from the band. The first thing I noticed about the album is that it is only nine tracks long… however; it is nearly an hour in length. Six minutes per song is something rarely seen in music lately. The Killing Tree are best described as straight-forward hardcore with melody and singing. And when I say singing, I don’t mean in the background. Their vocalist actually sings a lot of the time, not just the typical hardcore yelling or screaming, he sings. This is the most enticing thing about the band. By no means is the music groundbreaking or extremely technical, but it’s apparent that’s not what the band wants to do with their music. The band really reminds me of some older east coast bands such as Ensign, Shutdown, etc. but with a touch of melody and some singing. The album flows extremely well. The lyrics are emotional and intuitive. Each song is fast paced, but with each one being around six minutes, the structure of each song is intricate but it doesn’t lose the listener in chaos or boredom. If I had to describe this album in one word, it would be enjoyable. I have heard many bands with more talent and many albums that bring more to the table. This album stands out amongst the crowd with a little uniqueness inside a genre that can get overcrowded at times. The instrumental in the middle of the album really adds to the effect. Every time I listen to the album, the more I like it. The Killing Tree knows what they are good at, stick to it, and make this album worth every penny.

favorite song: "them’s fightin’ words" (the most melodic song on the record)

rating: 85%/100% (it’s not perfect, but it’s a really cool album)

Unfortunately they don’t have an mp3.com site, so you’ll have to order this CD from their record label or track me down and ask to borrow it…

No comments: