blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Tuesday, January 7, 2003

Review: Turning Blue - Whatever 'Til We Die


artist: turning blue
album: ...whatever 'til we die
label: pal-tone records
released: 1/21/01

by: rob tatum

Alright, I’m not going to lie, I hate this type of music. It was a good listen when I was younger, but it really got old fast. I don’t want to take away from people who devote their time to music, but this is not my thing. This band has the potential to be good and there were a couple songs on this album that I really liked, but it was hard for me to stay interested.

For those of you from the Denver area, this band is Rhode Island’s version of the Fairlanes. Pop-punk. The more I listened to the album, the less irritating it got, and honestly, fans of pop-punk will love this album. It’s catchy and heart-felt, two key ingredients in making a good punk album. It just doesn’t do anything for me personally

The cover of “Break my Stride” was good for a laugh. I wouldn’t have put it in the middle of the album. It distracts from the pace of the album. There are some really melodic songs that I got into, but before and after each song there is a song I didn’t like. It made it hard for me to stay interested.

My favorite songs were “Someone else’s song” and “Let’s get lost.” The band has the musical ability to be something great and they demonstrate that throughout the album. Lyrically… well, it’s a pop-punk album… I can’t really get into that. The vocals are good at times and irritating at others. I didn’t hate this album by any means, but like I said, unless you are into poppy stuff, this probably won’t float your boat.

favorite song: “someone else’s song”

rating: 65%/100%

listen to turning blue

No comments: