blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, February 22, 2003

Review: Radiant Republic of Texas - Air Show EP

artist: radiant republic of texas
album: air show (ep)
label: none/demo
released:

by: rob tatum

Well, for those of you who know Brian (Shogun, Dartanian, Sincere Distrust) this EP shouldn’t surprise you at all. However, if you are expecting anything close to Shogun, then you will probably hate this. As for me, I had to listen to this EP a couple times before it really started to grow on me, but the more that I listen, the more I enjoy it. It’s hard to describe the sound that this EP encompasses because it has a little bit of everything, but props to Brian for making something interesting.

The first song, "Transient Head," reminds me of Sunny Day Real Estate (pink album or diary era). It’s mellow, but not boring. It opens the EP well. Next up is the instrumental "121123112341" which has kind of a “dancy” feel to it at first, then jumps to a little bit more energetic rhythm to it and then some good melody. I really like listening to this song, even though it’s just an instrumental. The third song, "Crack Steppin’," is kind of poppy compared to the first part of the EP. My favorite part of this song is its flow. The vocals are a little different from the first song, but give the song a little more energy. Fourth on the EP is "Pathetic Examples." This song feels more like the first song. "Lastly is Propeller." It feels much like the 1st and 4th songs and finishes the album well.

My only complaint is that each song is under three minutes and the five songs fly by when you listen to it. For fans of packaging, you might be intrigued by the DVD case and black-bottom CD. It’s a nice little twist, and even if it won’t fit in the CD rack, it’s cool with me. My recommendations for this EP go out to anyone who was a fan of early SDRE or some of the older Revelation Records bands. Oh yeah, if you are wondering about the name, e-mail Brian, he has a full explanation.

favorite song: "pathetic examples"

rating: 80%/100%

listen to radiant republic of texas

No comments: