blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, February 22, 2003

Review: Various Artists - Radio Dick: The 3 Sided LP Volume 1

artist: the american plague, windfall, vanguard
album: radio dick - the 3-sided lp: volume 1
label: pal-tone records
released: 1/28/03


by: rob tatum

The first thing I want to say is that I like the idea of a three way full length. Rather than releasing three separate EP’s, why not combine them into one? It gives people an opportunity to check out more than one band at a time, and even if they don’t like all the bands, it still makes it worth paying money for.

Since this is a three way split, I’ll break it into three short reviews:

The American Plague – Tracks 1-4

Fans of older punk will really like this band. When I was reading the press info about this band, I was worried that I would hate them, but being that they sound similar to Social Distortion, this band was easily tolerated. The music isn’t anything special, but for being a trio, there’s good melody and flow. If you like straight forward punk with a little melody, check this band out.

f
avorite song: "9 times out of 10"

rating: 70%100%

listen to the american plague


Windfall – Tracks 5-8


Musically, this band has some talent, but it’s really not my thing. I like the fact that they have a female vocalist because it makes for an interesting change of pace to this CD, but it really didn’t grab me. The music is melodic punk/rock with vocals similar to older No Doubt. The lyrics are decent, but like I said, it just didn’t grab me.

f
avorite song: "Growing Alive"

rating: 68%/100%

listen to windfall


Vanguard – Tracks 9-12


Well, this is the best part of this CD, but it’s still nothing amazing or anything. Poppy, energetic punk with some melody from time to time. This is the band on this CD that I see with potential. As of now, the music is a little dull, but with time, I could see myself enjoying future releases from this band. The thing that bothered me is that the four songs all change pace from each other… and I am a big fan of flow. There is one song that is melodic, then the next is angry, and then there’s one that sounds like Bad Religion… it’s kind of annoying, but I do see some potential.

f
avorite song: "Weight"

rating: 72%/100%

listen to vanguard


Well, basically, if you like punk, you will probably enjoy this album. Each band brings something different to the table for a little variety. I didn’t really like it much, but that doesn’t mean it was awful or anything.

overall rating: 70%/100%

No comments: