blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, April 5, 2003

Review: The Now - Self-Titled EP


artist: the now
album: self-titled (ep)
label: robotic empire records
released:


by: rob tatum

Six songs, less than ten minutes. That in itself frustrates me with this CD. On top of the short songs, the band didn’t include lyrics in the release. To continue to irritate me, the band doesn’t have a website.

Okay, on to the positives… for you packaging nerds like myself, the unused portion of the CD on the bottom has a double-helix wrapped around it. I thought was pretty cool. The band has a ton of energy. Fast and heavy with that straight forward punch. I dig the song titles, I just wish I knew the lyrics. The first track is called “We don’t Call Him ‘Columbine’ Because He Wears a Trench Coat, We Call Him ‘Columbine’ Because He Kills People.”

The band is probably best described as straight forward hardcore with some elements of grind and metal to attempt to keep things from getting boring. Unfortunately for The Now, it does get boring after the second or third song. They all seem to run together. The vocals aren’t the worst I have ever heard, but they leave something to be desired. Combining that with the lack of lyrics (you can figure out some of them, but not all), I really didn’t like this EP much to say the least. If the songs were about a minute longer and the maybe they mixed things up a little bit more, I would enjoy it. The only things to my liking were the way they did their breakdowns and some of the guitar work.

favorite song: thrill fuckers (you broke my heart but i kinda got off to it)

rating: 68%/100%

listen to the now

No comments: