blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, April 19, 2003

Review: Somehow Hollow - Busted Wings and Broken Halos


artist: somehow hollow
album: busted wings and broken halos
label: victory records



by: rob tatum

If there is one thing I can’t stand about bands on Victory, it’s all the hype the label makes about their bands. Busted Wings and Rusted Halos is the second full length from Ontario’s Somehow Hollow. Now don’t get me wrong, being that all four members played in Grade at one point or another, I was really excited to hear what they had to offer, but I would’ve thought this album would’ve blown away anything Grade ever did from the publicity.

Welcome to reality. I had never heard their first album, so I really wasn’t sure what I was going to hear and, unfortunately for me, I expected something similar to Grade. It’s nothing like Grade. Maybe a poppy version of Under the Radar era Grade, but not the Grade most people had come to know. The music is probably best described as melodic punk or possibly poppy emo, somewhat similar to Knapsack or Samiam. Driving guitars, upbeat melodies, and poppy vocals. The lyrics are emotional songs about girls and heartbreak. “I’ll never let you go, I sit back and I watch you smile. You make everything ok and I’ll miss you whenever you’re away.” Aside from my expectations, the album has grown on me. It flows extremely well and makes a good sing-along album. I can’t say that the band is overly talented or complex, but they have managed to create a very enjoyable sound.

Although this album is on Victory and the band came out of the ashes of Grade, this album won’t appeal to the hardcore community. This will bode well with pop-punk and emo crowds. I could easily see this band touring with the like of Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World, or New Found Glory in the near future as they seem to be picking similar bands as supporting acts recently.

favorite song: "never let you go"

rating: 81%/100%

listen to somehow hollow

No comments: