blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Friday, May 2, 2003

Review: Various Artists - Broadcast International


artist: various artists
album: broadcast international
label: point five limey records
released:


by: eduardo moutinho

Compilations… There’s something about them that I have to talk about before moving on with this review. There are three types of compilations, for the most part. One type is the straight up, block of similar bands putting out similar-sounding songs on one single record, which usually accounts to a fairly easy to follow listen. The second type is the “bands that are in the same ballpark but different areas of the field” kind of effort, that gives the listener a taste of all sorts of different sounds. Then, there is the “bands coming together for a common cause” kind of compilation, exemplified by recent Weezer and Ramones tribute records. While I think the idea of a compilation is a great one, I just can’t seem to really get into them for one simple reason: I’m very picky. I like a band for a specific set of reasons that are particular to that group. So I tend to prefer to search and pick out a band myself instead of having it served to me on a platter. To summarize, many times, I tend to walk away unsatisfied by compilations because only a certain percentage of the music hits my ear right.

This is the problem with Broadcast International for me. While I’m happy and excited about seeing another upstart Colorado record label like Point Five Limey Records, I can’t let that cloud my judgment when reviewing this record. I’d like to emphasize the fact that a compilation is a collage of songs by a group of bands. Therefore, I will dispense ratings on a band-by-band basis, just like a show review.

a perfect kiss: I must say, that the strongest band on the record also happens to be the leadoff hitter for this effort. Why I have had two baseball metaphors so far in this review, while hating baseball, I don’t know. Anyway, this band is trying to tackle the uncomfortably saturated emocore scene, and seems to have a sound that can give them some much-desired isolation. This ensemble has two songs on the effort, “In Spite of My Angel” and “Angels.” Hopefully, those tracks aren’t back-to-back on the band’s actual album to prevent redundancy. Anyway, both tracks showcase A Perfect Kiss’ strong points. The vocalist has one of those emotional and non-monotonous screaming voices, combined with strong singing. The vocals fit the music quite nicely. The music itself is straightforward, yet effective. The musical timing of the band is well done. Interludes, changing of drum times, and a few other things are rightfully placed, making the music flow well. Both of the songs displayed are a good selection, as one is slow and building (“In Spite of My Angel”), and the other fast and driving (“Angels”). Overall, this is a great start to the compilation.

rating: 90%/100%

maria blonde: Here’s where Broadcast International
starts to wane a bit. This band has a really slow and somewhat boring sound. This is the kind of band that a Mineral fan would like to listen to. For me, it’s just not my cup of tea. Another gripe I have is with the singer. His vocals are somewhat low and on the brink of being raspy. There really isn’t one thing about this band that really interests me. There’s an overemphasis on attempting to establish atmosphere, along with an incredibly slow tempo to the songs. This is music you can play at a retirement home. Some people will dig this, and I can see talent. Yet I just can’t seem to understand how someone could become a devoted fan of this band. Good elevator music is still elevator music. Both songs here are somewhat similar too, which doesn’t help too much.

rating: 70%100%

alien 101: This band is pop punk to the core, following
almost every convention in the genre, from the “cool word plus number” name format to the simplistic lyrics. I give props to Point Five Limey, for throwing something in like this, even though it’s not the most original sounding stuff on the block. This band was probably put in here to give the album an almost universal appeal, not in its entirety, but in its variety of music. I don’t really want to go much into this band, since I’ll just repeat my somewhat cliché gripes with pop punk. To be brief, the music is excessively poppy, simplistic, and like I said before, there’s no actual meat to the lyrics. Just like with A Perfect Kiss, the song selection is good though, as both songs exhibited are somewhat different from each other. One is fast paced and very traditional pop punk (“Fire Spread”) and the other is slower and a more sincere effort (“Believe”) that still lacks any real worth. Overall, you’ve heard these songs before, in some form or another.

rating: 65%/100%

may sixteen: I really wanted to like this band as I heard
them. They are another emocore band that’s trying to come out and make something interesting. Yet, unlike A Perfect Kiss, they just don’t seem to have the elements that catch me. I really don’t like the vocals. The screaming is forced, and the singing is quite mediocre, having an almost gloomy drawl to it. It’s a shame really, since I did enjoy some of the music. I especially liked the guitar and drum work on “September’s Calling.” There are some decent moments here and there. Unfortunately, the bad vocals are quite evident, and hard to ignore. This puts the somewhat decent musical accompaniment on the backburner, making the experience less than satisfactory.

rating: 73%/100%

[the] k word: These guys probably saw what (the) kindercide did with their name and dug the parentheses idea. Anyway, this is the kind of band that you listen to, get your hopes up for, hear the vocals which then bring you back to earth. Yet, the vocals aren’t as disheartening as the ones from May Sixteen. Unfortunately, this is another band that while listening I kept wondering: “If this band had a good vocalist…” Nevertheless, they have a good indie rock sound that many of you will appreciate. It’s a little groovy, and a little catchy. It’s not bad at all. I enjoyed both of the songs provided. “Grindin’ On Some Flavor” had a nice bass line that you could nod your head to, yet it maintained a constant subtlety that is normal with these kind of bands. Overall, this is definitely a positive segment of the record.

rating: 80%/100%

to what end: I guess James at Point Five Limey realized that Broadcast International needs to start and end with a bang. Thankfully, he accomplished just that. To What End is the only other band on this album that I had quite a bit of enjoyment listening to. This is another emocore band, slightly harder than the others. The sound isn’t groundbreaking, and it’s more simplistic than A Perfect Kiss. The music is solid though, and enjoyable. Both of the songs are similar sounding, yet both are strong. The guitar work is good, and the other aspects of the music are solid. The vocals are strong as well, with the singer belting out his lyrics with repeated success, and the screaming is also quite good. Honestly, there’s not much else to say about this band’s showing on the record. To continue with the baseball references, this band is like a slightly overweight closer, that’s reliable to get that save on almost every occasion.

rating: 85%/100%

It is also worth noting that the artwork for Broadcast
International
is quite well done. The insert, while being simple, has its text displayed diagonally, which is a nice touch. This is a solid first release for Point Five Limey Records. I believe that with the lineup here it was all a one-time kind of deal, so I don’t expect to see any of these bands releasing records on Point Five Limey. But I can’t say I’m sure either. For a first release, something a lot worse could have been done. This is an interesting compilation, with something that will probably satisfy almost anyone. While this is the album’s greatest strength, it is also its greatest shortcoming. Yet, as they say, you can’t satisfy everyone. And I am an annoying person to satisfy. Also, it’s nice to see James trying to find some bands outside of the USA. Maria Blonde, May Sixteen, and Alien 101 are all European bands. Granted, if you’re reading this James, send me an e-mail and I could give you the names of some Brazilian bands that have that slugging potential… Damn I hate baseball.

listen to broadcast international

No comments: