blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, July 12, 2003

Review: Every Time I Die - Hot Damn!

artist: every time i die
album: hot damn!
label: ferret music
released: july 2003


by: rob tatum

Hot damn!

Okay, so maybe I wouldn’t go that far in describing Every Time I Die’s newest album. Hot Damn! is thirty minutes of pure energy. Straying from the predominantly hardcore style exhibited on Last Night in Town, this release is primarily a combination of metal and rock. From time to time, a song will tease the listener into anticipating a breakdown, but what ensues is usually a fast-paced and chaotic barrage.

Hot Damn! shows a much more defined approach to song writing. Staying true to the form of Last Night in Town, lead singer Keith Buckley’s lyrics are as erratic as ever. Covering topics from fighting to love to death, each song quickly establishes itself as a new journey. As aforementioned, there are fewer breakdowns than older Every Time I Die material, and the ones that do appear are much more straight forward. The progression the band has made since Last Night in Town becomes more evident with each listen.

On that note, I’ll be perfectly honest: I thought this album was terrible the first time I listened to it. The band has really changed their style. A handful of songs contain singing parts that really remind me of Glassjaw, but Keith’s voice isn’t quite as developed to go that far. Hot Damn! stretches to many ends of the spectrum, but when it comes down to it, it is heavy, fast, and chaotic. The more I have listened to it, the more it has grown on me.

To listen to this album once wouldn’t do it justice. While the complexity of it may not be apparent right away, the depth of each song begins to stand out both musically and vocally with each listen. I was disappointed that Every Time I Die had strayed away from the hardcore, but now that I see where the rock and metal is going, I can’t help but be impressed.

favorite song: "she's my rushmore"

rating: 87%/100%

listen to every time i die

No comments: