blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Tuesday, July 8, 2003

Review: Figure Four - Suffering the Loss

artist: figure four
album: suffering the loss
label: solid state records
released: 2003


by: joe thomasson

So I woke up this morning and listened to this band known as Figure Four. For some reason their music does not sound too new to me. They describe their music as brutal and themselves as seasoned warriors of the hardcore arena. They emerge with violent intensity and a sound that is down-right imposing. Well, brutal may be correct if you want to add that this music sounds way behind the times. Maybe that’s what they are shooting for?

Now don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the random breakdowns that they employ throughout there album. They brought me to jump out of bed this morning and kick something myself. However, their lyrics are dry - very dry. I also cannot begin to comprehend why they employ a screamer whose voice is so bland. I don’t really hear anything that breaks down any barriers. This album sounds very old school hardcore to me. So if you like to listen to unoriginal music and stand around until that random breakdown comes, go to a Figure Four show. And if you enjoy listening to a CD where every song sounds almost the same, then Suffering the Loss is for you. Although, if you are in need of a quick wake up in the morning, this album may be of some help to you.

favorite song: "kill and deceive"

rating: 70%/100%

No comments: