blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Monday, October 20, 2003

Review: Down to Nothing - Save it for the Birds


artist: down to nothing
album: save it for the birds
label: thorp records
released: 2003


by: rob tatum

Maybe it’s just me, but I really cannot grasp how a band can be pleased with songs that are better measured in seconds than minutes. It really irritates me. Anyway, Richmond’s Down to Nothing is a fast-paced, East Coast straight edge band. Easily compared to the likes of Champion, In My Eyes, or numerous East Coast bands, the band struggles to establish a sound of their own on this album.

Perhaps the band set out to sound like the aforementioned bands, and if not, they accomplished it. I give the band credit for creating energetic hardcore and standing up for the things they believe in. That’s the best part about music in general, but unfortunately that’s how I feel about Save it for the Birds, generic. The musicianship is very basic, as blast beats and power-chords reign supreme.

This isn’t my genre, it never has been, it never will be. The band does nothing for me. If you like this style, Down to Nothing pulls it off pretty well, but there’s nothing special here.

favorite song: "who are you to say"

rating: 66%/100%

listen to down to nothing

No comments: