blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Review: As I Lay Dying - Shadows Are Security


artist: as i lay dying
album: shadows are security
label: metal blade records
released: 2005


by: rob tatum

I have always tried to evaluate each album I listen to with an open mind, but when bands release albums that show little or no progression or deviation from their previous releases, I have trouble staying objective. Don’t get me wrong, there isn’t anything wrong with Shadows are Security, aside from the obvious, but there’s nothing new here either. My opinion of As I Lay Dying hasn’t changed much since Frail Words Collapse and neither has their music.

The musicianship on this release is just as superb and tight as their last album, but the band has little to advance their sound. The songs on Shadows are Security closely resemble Frail Words Collapse and could be considered a continuation of that album. The only noticeable change is that there aren’t quite as many breakdowns, but it’s easy to see that they have a song writing formula and they stick with it. The music is still heavy, fast-paced, and intense. The clean singing is still incorporated into some of the songs, but for the most part, vocalist Tim Lambesis bellows heavy, yet crisp screaming. The guitar work remains the strongest part of the band, and is matched by few.

The same complaints I had from Frail Words Collapse remain on this album. I struggle with openly Christian bands, but I will still say that As I Lay Dying isn’t preachy. There are a couple songs that the lyrics bother me, but for the most part the lyrics don’t close the door on listeners and remain a little generic. I just wish this album had showed a little more progression, but it is still a decent metalcore album.

favorite song: "repeating yesterday"

rating: 86%/100%

listen to as i lay dying

No comments: