blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Review: Himsa - Summon in Thunder

Artist: Himsa
Album: Summon in Thunder

Label:
Century Media
Released: 9/18/2007




BSTscore: 69

This is the band’s first release with Century Media. With yet another member change, this effort combines the songwriting of Sammi Curr and Kirby Johnson, who have each written past albums individually for the band. The combined work of Curr and Johnson is both blistering and complex. Numerous solos coexist with heavy, fast-paced rhythm from bassist Derek Harn. The drums are thundering throughout as Chad Davis delivers punishing double bass giving the album a very heavy feel.

I have reasons to like the lyrics on this album, and I have reasons to hate them. I appreciate the wide vocabulary used in the songs as you won’t find any catchy pop clichés. On the other hand, I’m struggling to find a point to the songs. The lyrics are dark and have that “metal” cliché feel to them. I’d be interested to known the inspiration behind them because they are either really deep or really generic.

You are either a fan of Johnny Pettibone or you’re not. His guttural voice lacks range, but certainly not power. I have always been a fan of crisp delivery on past Himsa releases and little has changed on Summon in Thunder.

I think that Curr rejoining the band benefited the songwriting. It’s not that Johnson did anything wrong with Hair Horror, but Curr gives the songs added depth. Himsa is one of the few “thrash” metal bands that I can tolerate and the songs on Summon in Thunder have consistent flow from start to finish.

The band hasn’t knocked down any walls with this release, but they have established their sound as their own. I can tell a Himsa song almost immediately when it comes on and that can’t be said for every band. I think the album is a good listen, but it’s not something I can listen to on a frequent basis. I almost have to be in a “Himsa mood” and that isn’t enough to make my typical rotation.


The band has definitely gotten more exposure in the last 2 or 3 years and I think that will continue with this release. This isn’t music for everyone, but metal fans will love it.

Musicianship: 75
Vocals: 70
Creativity: 70
Impact: 60

Favorite Song: "Skinwalkers"

Listen to Himsa

No comments: