blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Friday, May 14, 2004

Review: 100 Demons - Self-Titled

artist: 100 demons
album: self-titled
label: deathwish inc.
released:


by: rob tatum

I had never actually heard 100 Demons prior to popping this CD into my player. I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised. The second full length from this Connecticut hardcore band is full of energy and passion. This isn’t the typical band that I would enjoy, but I can’t help but sing along to the songs on this album.

The best way I can describe 100 Demon’s music is to compare them to a more hardcore oriented Killswitch Engage. There is more emphasis on breakdowns and sing alongs than a KsE release, but the talent is still here. The occasional metal riff will ring in from time to time, but not often enough to be considered a metalcore release. The absence of clichéd melodic breakdowns from this album really makes it a more complete album. This is straight up, energetic hardcore.

Vocalist Pete Morcey carries a deep voice that bellows from within. His voice fits the style of music very well. As I mentioned before, you really can’t help but sing along. The album is filled with angry, passionate lyrics ranging from personal angst to fiery attacks. Some of the songs hit close to home and that may be why I enjoyed this album as much as I did.

This is rock solid hardcore album. I wish I had gotten into 100 Demons before now because this album is a great listen. I look forward to what this band will offer up on its next release and hopefully they can match the intensity of this album.

favorite song: "his father's son"

rating: 86%/100%

listen to 100 demons

No comments: