blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Tuesday, January 7, 2003

Review: 30 Seconds to Mars - Self-Titled

artist: 30 seconds to mars
album: self-titled
label: epic records/immortal records
released:

by: rob tatum

I admit it. I was skeptical of this band before I even heard them. They were touring with the likes of Puddle of Mudd and their singer is Jared Leto, of My So-Called Life and Requiem of a Dream fame. Now, however, I regret not picking this up a long time ago. This album is amazing. It has a very unique sound.

The album touches base on a theme album, as each song has references to space or Mars, but it’s pretty apparent after listening to the album that it’s all metaphors. Musically, the band encompasses a hard rock sound, but not what you hear typically on the radio. There is a slight electronic feel to some of the songs, which really sets this album apart most the hard rock albums I have heard.

Leto’s vocal range is decent and fits the band well. I really enjoy the flow and melody of the album. My only real complaint is the lyrical content. It appears that some of the songs were written to fit a theme, rather than to express a meaning. They aren’t awful or anything, but they leave something to be desired.

The best songs on the album are “Oblivion” and “Mission.” Both are catchy, yet unique… which is how I would probably describe this band in a nutshell. It’s nothing revolutionary, but it’s a nice change from the typical garbage played on the radio.

favorite song: "mission"

rating: 88%/100%

listen to 30 seconds to mars

No comments: