blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, April 5, 2003

Review: A Days Refrain - Neil Perry Split

artist: a days refrain, neil perry
album: split 3'' cd
label: robotic empire records
released:

by: rob tatum

First off, I must stress my discontent with 3” CD’s… you can’t play them in the car, which for me, makes it difficult to get acquainted with the content of a CD. Anyway, on to this release… I’m not usually into this style of music, mainly due to the vocals, but after giving this a listen two or three times, it has started to grow on me.

The first three songs are from A Days Refrain and the last three are from Neil Perry. The first song, "Forces of Habit," is exactly why I tend to dislike this genre. Fast paced, uncomprehensible vocals… irritating to say the least. I was worried about the rest of the songs after hearing it, but the next five songs are much more enjoyable. The second track, "District Eleven," is the best of the songs from A Days Refrain. It’s not as fast as the previous track and encompasses a heavier, more hardcore feel. I really enjoy the lyrics to this track. “The words we follow, and what we’ve been forced to swallow down, is drowned in half-truths leaving many more questions than we started out with.”

The other half of the split, from the band Neil Perry was a nice change of pace for me. Although the songs are short, musically Neil Perry is amazing. Lyrically, the songs tell a story, even if only in a couple of sentences. "Fading Away Like the Rest of Them" is by far the best track musically on this CD. However, the last song, "Sorry for the Misunderstanding Mr. Watts… it won’t
Happen Again," is the best lyrically.

I honestly can say that I enjoyed this release even if it’s not usually my thing. Like I mentioned before, it was a refreshing change. I just wish it was a little longer…

favorite song: "fading away like the rest of them (neil perry)"

rating: 76%/100%

listen to a day's refrain

listen to neil perry

No comments: