blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Thursday, February 19, 2004

Review: A Thousand Falling Skies - From Behind the Shadows (EP)

artist: a thousand falling skies
album: from behind the shadows
label:
released: 2001


by: joe thomasson

Holy motha. Driving, slicing, pounding, furious,
metalcore. This is the kind of music that moves you -- or at least it moves me. A Thousand Falling Skies is a
melodic metal band hailing form the town of Naugatuck, Connecticut. Formed in April of 2000, they have two
guitarists (as many metal sub genre bands seem to) along with a single screamer.

The song Paint Me a Pretty Picture hooked me
instantly. It was a melodic to brutal slashing mixture that was almost perfect. The screaming is near the top of
the food chain. At times, it sounds like the lead singer will make you dinner. Later on in the CD, Casting Shadows
seems to be another near perfect mix of melody/hard hitting metallic rifts. Random breakdowns throughout make for great dancing. This is what I listen to music for.

As with any great EP, I am left wanting sooo much
more. Emo kids beware -- this is not the CD for you. This wins a prize of an A- from me. Why the minus? Only
because I want more and think they could go a little further with their music if they added additional backing
screams. As for another screamer, I seem to be out of luck. However, there is hope. The band is currently working on a full length CD that I, for one, am anxiously awaiting.


favorite song: "paint me a pretty picture"

rating: 90%/100%

listen to a thousand falling skies

No comments: