blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Review: Unearth - The March

Artist: Unearth
Album:
The March
Label:
Metal Blade

Released:
10/14/2008


BSTscore: 98

The March is the 4th full length from Boston’s Unearth. Yet again, the band delivers a haymaker to the metalcore world. The first riff of “My Will Be Done” (the opening track) is a blissful reminder of everything that makes Unearth so great. Blistering tempos, punishing beats, amazing guitar harmonies, and crisp vocals are delivered flawlessly. What lies ahead are ten tracks that only further the band’s stake as one of the best bands in metal today.

Despite constant assurances against it (including from front man Trevor Phipps in our interview a few years ago), my biggest fear with Unearth has always been that the band would stray away from their bread and butter or begin to repeat riffs or breakdowns. I can assure you; this is still not the case (and has pretty much eased my fears). The only change is that there isn’t as much thrash metal with this release. Regardless, The March is undeniably an Unearth album, and the songs remain unique and identifiable.

The obvious strength of the band’s music is the dueling guitars of Buz McGrath and Ken Susi. Their ability to layer riff after riff into solos is matched by few and still leaves me shaking my head. See “Hail the Shrine”, “Crow Killer” and “Cutman” for examples on this album. I’m further impressed by the seamless transition to new drummer Derek Kerswill. The beats are powerful and thundering from start to finish. The creative breakdowns and fills are executed to perfection. Call it cliché, but The March is definitely heavy and metal.

Equally as strong and impressive on The March is vocalist Trevor Phipps. His clear, crisp delivery is easily the best in the metalcore genre and makes the band easily identifiable. The power of his voice is something that gets your blood boiling and makes you scream along. Again, check out “Hail the Shrine” and “We Are Not Anonymous”. Lyrically, the songs show passion and depth, as well as anger (as always). Favorites for me include “Grave of Opportunity” and “Letting Go”.

Every time I review an Unearth album, I feel like I’m just repeating myself, and there’s good reason for that: There’s not another band out there that can consistently produce music like this. I could ramble on and on about how great this album is, but I think you should find out for yourself. You won’t be disappointed.

Musicianship: 100
Vocals: 100
Creativity: 95
Impact: 95

Favorite Song: “Letting Go”

Listen to Unearth

No comments: