blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Review: The Human Abstract - Midheaven

Artist: The Human Abstract
Album: Midheaven
Label: Hopeless
Released: 8/19/2008


BSTscore: 99

When I first heard Midheaven I was left scratching my head with a bit of a dumbfounded look. For anyone that was familiar with The Human Abstract’s first full length, Nocturne, you would have expected something vastly different. At the time, I was a little disappointed, but that would fade with each listen. Gone was the prog-metal and screaming (for the most part). I really had to cleanse my head of all of that before I could truly appreciate this album.

Some might say the band went soft. Others might say they sold out. After realizing the band lost one of their primary songwriters during the recording of the album, it’s a little easier to grasp the change, whatever the cause of it. For anyone who did hear the first album, you’ll know the amazing musical ability of this band. Midheaven is no different. The collective ability of this band is only rivaled by the likes of Protest the Hero. There is another level and this band has it. The most obvious change is that instead of breakdowns, there are more melodies. Not stripped-down, boring melodies, but off-timed, progressive, elaborate melodies. Mix in the intricate guitar work and thundering rhythm and you have some of the most complete songs I’ve ever heard.

Nathan Ells did little to display the true depth of his voice on Nocturne. After listening to Midheaven, it’s easy to understand the departure from the screaming. His vocal range and overall melody is terrific. And while there are occasional screams from song to song, I feel the band made an excellent decision when they chose the new direction. Lyrically, you won’t find any verse, chorus, verse on this album. The “concept” approach is certainly not my favorite, but the strength of each song by itself is enough to erase my skepticism.

Every time I have listened to this album, I have been more impressed. There is a depth to each song that you have to hear to truly appreciate or understand. Midheaven is remarkable in so many ways. There are “catchy” parts that I have found myself singing when I’m not even listening to the album (“A Dead World at Sunrise”, “Calm in the Chaos”) and there are absolute technical masterpieces (“Metanoia”, “Breathing Life into Devices”). I can’t even think of another album I own that can claim both of these. That is saying a lot. I’m not ready to anoint The Human Abstract as the greatest band on earth, but Midheaven is one hell of an album.

Musicianship: 100
Vocals: 95
Creativity: 100
Impact: 100

Favorite Song: “Counting Down the Days”

Listen to The Human Abstract

No comments: