blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Tuesday, October 22, 2002

Review: Hot Water Music - Caution


artist: hot water music
album: caution
label: epitaph records
released: 10/8/02


by: rob tatum

Alright, it’s no secret to those of you who know me. Hot Water Music is my favorite band (the whole logo tattooed on my arm might be a clue). Regardless, their last album, A Flight and a Crash, disappointed me for the most part. It didn’t have the same driving, emotional thunder that a typical HWM album carries. I didn’t hate it, but it had me a little apprehensive for their second album on Epitaph, Caution.

I went and picked this up the day it came out. It starts with the song “Remedy” which has the same feel as A Flight and a Crash. I thought maybe my love affair with the band was about to die. Then the second track “Trusty Chords” started… and that warm feeling, that has been so much to me in the last five years, hit home. The rest of this album marks maturity and progression for HWM. I don’t know if I could say that they found their strengths in this record, because they never really lost them, but this album can grab a listener and pull them in.

Lyrically, the album is nothing compared to Forever and Counting or Fuel for the Hate Game, but this album is still miles ahead of any band on Epitaph and most bands out there today. From the fifth track, “It’s all related”: “When you come, crumbling, you will grow back again. Don’t hold your breath, don’t lie awake, don’t hesitate, be ready to see.” HWM has an amazing ability to write words that motivate one to keep their head up, no matter what the problem is. This is the best example on this album.

Musically, this album is more diverse than any previous album. Each song is a little change of pace from the previous. It actually creates a nice flow. There is a bigger emphasis on melody on this album and it adds to the experience. My favorite example of this is in “I’m alright for now.” It begins really mellow with little guitar and builds into a melodic, emotional ballad with much smoother vocals than the previous albums.

You’d think that it would be easy for me to review my favorite band, but it’s really difficult for me to put everything into words. In as few words as possible, my advice is that for anyone who has never heard HWM, or have been deterred because of the vocals, this album is worth your listen. I assure you that you won’t be disappointed.

favorite song: "i'm alright for now"

rating: 90%/100%

listen to the hot water music

No comments: