blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Monday, June 30, 2003

Review: As I Lay Dying - Frail Words Collapse

artist: as i lay dying
album: frail words collapse
label: metal blade records
released: 2003

by: rob tatum

Forty seconds into “94 Hours”, the first song on Frail Words Collapse, As I Lay Dying hits the listener with one of the heaviest breakdowns I have ever heard and follows it with another. Thus starting one of the hardest hitting metalcore albums I have heard in quite some time. Ordinarily I wouldn’t expect myself to like a band like As I Lay Dying with the metal riffs and double bass on top of the fact they are another Christian hardcore band. One listen through this album threw all of that out the window.

Musically, this album is superb. Outside of the occasional fast-paced and double bass parts that get irritating, I
couldn’t imagine a better arranged album. I didn’t think that anything could top the first song after I initially listened to it, but as I continued through Frail Words Collapse the album keeps getting better and better. The songs are very heavy, but still have a melodic feel to most of them. Vocally, Tim Lambesis’s voice reminds me somewhat of older Zao, but is more understandable. These clear-cut screams make the songs even better. There is also singing in a couple of songs which diversifies the album. Lyrically the band manages to stay true to their religious side without preaching. The songs are more general and can appeal to a range of listeners.

In 12 songs, and just under 40 minutes, As I Lay Dying has created one of the better metalcore albums I have listened to. They managed to stay away from too much metal or too much hardcore and have found a very good
niche for creating songs. Each song is heavy, but has a melodic feel. The breakdowns are packed with tons of energy. This album would be an awesome addition to any metalcore fan’s collection.


favorite song: "forever"

rating: 87%/100%

listen to as i lay dying

No comments: