blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Monday, June 30, 2003

Review: This Day Forward - In Response


artist: this day forward
album: in response
label: equal vision records
released: 2003


by: rob tatum

I can remember the first time that I heard This Day Forward on their Transient Effects of Light on the Water full length and I thought to myself, great, another band jumping on the metalcore bandwagon. I enjoyed that album, but it really didn’t establish TDF as anything special.

Now, with In Response, TDF has managed quite the turnaround. This album demonstrates a real transformation musically and vocally. TDF shows much more complex song writing and structures. Gone are the straight forward metal riffs and breakdowns. In Response is almost post-hardcore, but I would probably call it rock-based hardcore. The intensity of the older material is still there, but mixed with the melody, it creates a much more enjoyable listen.

Anyone who dismissed TDF based on their older material really must give this a listen. The change is hard to put into perspective. It is that drastic and for the better. Vocalist Mike Shaw has really learned to do much more than scream and it is very apparent on this release. There is a good deal of singing in most of the songs. The lyrics are much more dynamic than the previous releases.

I am thoroughly impressed by how the band has matured with time. All the songs have a deeper feel to them and really grab the listener. This Day Forward used to be an average band from my perspective, but this release has changed my opinion greatly. This is a very solid release with great melody and song structures.

favorite song: "the breath"

rating: 88%/100%

listen to this day forward

No comments: