blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, June 28, 2003

Review: The Black Dahlia Murder - Unhallowed

artist: the black dahlia murder
album: unhallowed
label: metal blade records
released: 2003


by: rob tatum

Well, anyone who has ever heard me complain about too much double bass or how much I can’t stand really fast paced, heavy music can just imagine how much I enjoyed this album. Unhallowed teased me with a lovely instrumental, then went down the drain from there.

I’m not really sure how they managed to get 36 minutes out of ten songs because most of the songs have such blistering tempos. There is a ton of metal riffs, blast-beats, and double bass. The vocals are atrocious. The high pitched screaming combined with the deep outbursts of backing vocals are not a good combo for any band, and The Black Dahlia Murder is no different. The lyrics are typical of a metal band: long, dark, and overdramatic to say the least. Nothing about them really impressed me at all. Not to take away from every part of the band, the guitarists seem to have the talent, but this isn’t the best way to harness it.

If you like metal, then by all means give this a listen, but otherwise don’t bother. It didn’t light my fire, and it probably won’t light yours either.

favorite song: "unhallowed"

rating: 67%/100%

listen to the black dahlia murder

No comments: