blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Monday, January 10, 2005

Review: Caliban - The Opposite From Within

artist: caliban
album: the opposite from within
label: abacus recordings
released: 10/2004


by: rob tatum

For anyone that has previously listened to Germany’s Caliban, The Opposite from Within may not please the ear on the first listen. The band is known for their unrelenting metal riffs and pure energy. They haven’t strayed from this formula entirely on this record, but they have incorporated much more melody and singing to their songs than on their previous releases. I happen to own all of Caliban’s previous releases and to be honest, I didn’t expect the transition, but after I few listens, I am very impressed by this album

When I say that the band has added more melody and singing, don’t think that they have gone soft. This band is still just as powerful as ever, but think Killswitch Engage styled melodies. It took some getting used to, but the more that Caliban uses guitarist Denis Schmidt’s singing to compliment Andy Dorner’s raspy screams, the better the music flows. I’m sure that there are the skeptics out there saying they have gone soft or that they are just trying to sell records and all that bullshit, but I honestly think The Opposite from Within is the band’s most mature album. I had trouble listening to their previous albums (A Small Boy and a Grey Heaven, Vent, Shadow Hearts) on a regular basis, but I have found myself listening to this record quite frequently.

Caliban’s biggest improvement on this record is definitely the songwriting. No longer do I skip to one particular song and ignore a chunk of the record. I genuinely enjoy every song on this album. Musically the band still carries Slayer-esque metal riffs and tempos, but the heavier emphasis on the hardcore and melody makes the music seem more complete than their previous releases. Lyrically things have remained largely the same with a little more focus on love hardships than before, but with the addition of the clean vocals, it seems to be fitting on this record. This is a very complete album and a must for any fan of metalcore or Caliban.

favorite song: "goodbye"

rating: 91%/100%

listen to caliban

No comments: