blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Review: Maroon - Endorsed by Hate

artist: maroon
album: endorsed by hate
label: abacus recordings
released: 2/2005


by: rob tatum

Germany’s Maroon might not be a household name in the hardcore/metal world just yet, but trust me, those of you who enjoy the heavy breakdowns and powerful energy of Throwdown, Hatebreed, or Until the End, will fall in love with this band immediately. Endorsed by Hate is a brutal assault on your ears. Blast beats, breakdowns, metal riffs, and deep, raspy vocals (think along the lines of Throwdown with Keith) are all here to get you moving.

As many of you have learned from reading my reviews, I prefer to hear technical, melodic bands, but somewhere lost in space is that dark side of me that can’t get enough of the in-your-face style of music that Maroon brings on this album. Sure the music isn’t super technical, and sure the vocals might take some getting used to (Andre’s voice is pretty deep), but the decent song structures and high energy are enough to appease my ears.

For those of you who are straight edge, this band will suit you well lyrically as well. The songs on this album are full of passion and energy that is matched by few. Singer Andre Moraweck’s angry vocals fit the heavy, fast-paced songs perfectly. The guitar work is pretty impressive throughout, and the drumming is strong. Endorsed by Hate may not be my usual cup of tea, but I will certainly turn to it the next time I want something to get me moving.

favorite song: "without a face"

rating: 83%/100%

listen to maroon

No comments: