blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Review: Bury Your Dead - Self-Titled

Artist: Bury Your Dead
Album: Self-Titled
Label: Victory Records
Released: 3/18/2008



BSTscore: 56

Bury Your Dead is back with their self-titled release. Continuing with what seems to be a trend with the band, there is yet again a different lineup. The notable change, but not necessarily noticeable, is new vocalist Myke Terry.

Let’s be honest, Bury Your Dead has never set out to write the most complex, intricate music. Their goal is to have fun and provide heavy, energetic songs. On this album, the band has gone back to the well again. I guess if it’s not broken, then you don’t have to fix it, right? The majority of the album has the same feel as Beauty and the Breakdown. One of the songs that caught my ear because it strays from their usual sound was “Year One” as there is melody and singing.

I would venture to guess that if most people didn’t know the band had a new singer, they may not notice the difference. Myke’s voice has a little more range and he can handle occasional singing to accent his screaming, but his similarity to Mat Bruso is almost uncanny. Lyrically, I can say that there is a bit of a new direction. While the songs remain passionate, I don’t think they are as “in your face” as the band’s previous releases.

With backing from Victory, the band has continued to grow in popularity with each release. While I don’t feel this is their best effort by any means, I wouldn’t expect the trend to change. I think the band has found something that works for them and changing that might be worse than sticking to it. I would have to lump this album in with the later releases from Throwdown. It’s okay if you want something to get the blood flowing, but beyond that, I won’t be listening to it regularly.

Musicianship: 70
Vocals: 70
Creativity: 45
Impact: 40

Favorite Song: "Disposably, Yours"

Listen to Bury Your Dead

No comments: