blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Review: Belay My Last - The Downfall

Artist: Belay My Last
Album:
The Downfall
Label:
Media Skare
Released:
10/2/2007



BSTscore: 74

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised with this album. I had not previously heard of Belay My Last and I was ready to dismiss this as “just another band playing death metal” when I first put it in my CD player. I’m glad I made it past my first impression and gave The Downfall a few more listens.

This won’t be the first or last time I express my distaste for guttural, death metal vocals. With that said, I actually don’t mind the deep bellows from vocalist Jason Denney. His mix of raspy screams and clear growls is comprehendible and fits the music perfectly. For once, I don’t think the band would be better without the guttural vocals. The best comparison I have is The Acacia Strain. Another positive is that the band’s lyrics are passionate and angry. I like the fact that they are personal and I know that listeners can relate to them.

As for the music, it’s fast, heavy, and solid from start to finish. What I really like about The Downfall is that the songs flow really well. The trendy thing to do of late in this genre is to write a blast beat filled part, stop completely, play some technical riff, and growl away. Belay My Last stays away from this trap and I thank them for it. At times, the album is more metalcore than death metal, which is okay with me. Their sound may not be unique, but it is still a good listen.

Standout tracks for me include “Miss America”, “One More Foot in the Grave”, and the title track. The band exhibits an aggressive and effective approach as exhibited in the technical drumming and guitar work. Next time you are looking for something new or someone asks you for a good band they’ve never heard of, I definitely would give this a shot.

Musicianship: 80
Vocals: 75
Creativity: 70

Impact: 70


Favorite Song: "Miss America"

Listen to Belay My Last

No comments: