blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Monday, June 2, 2008

Review: Shai Hulud - Misanthropy Pure

Artist: Shai Hulud
Album:
Misanthropy Pure

Label:
Metal Blade
Released:
5/27/2008



BSTscore: 91

So I still haven’t decided whether musical genius involves roughly five years between albums, or if it’s just procrastination (it probably has more to do with constant member changes, moving, etc.). To be honest, if Shai Hulud only released 3 albums in every decade or so, I think I would still be content. The waiting and anticipation is torture, but it’s what makes each song so fulfilling to the listener.

Shai Hulud is one of the true heavyweights in the metalcore genre. Their sound is one of the most unique and recognizable sounds of any band out there. Misanthropy Pure is the band’s 3rd full length and first since 2003. Within the first 30 seconds of the first track,
“Venomspreader”, you are quickly reminded of the power and beauty of Shai Hulud. Described in the words of main songwriter Matt Fox, “Too hardcore to be metal and too metal to be hardcore.”

My first impressions of the album were that it was much faster and rhythmic than That Within Blood Ill-Tempered, which is hands down, the most melodic metalcore album I’ve ever heard. This release seems to bridge the gap between the Chad Gilbert era Shai Hulud (A Profound Hatred of Man, Hearts Once Nourished with Hope and Compassion) and the Geert van der Velde incarnation (That Within Blood Ill-Tempered). Obviously the technical guitar work and layering (staples of the band’s sound) are apparent throughout Misanthropy Pure, but the bass lines and drumming are much more punishing and heavy (See the intro of “Chorus of the Dissimilar”). The song structures are fast paced and ever changing.

The most glaring change is in the vocal department, where Geert van der Velde has been replaced by Matt Mazzali (for those counting at home, yes, that’s 3 Matt’s in the band now). Matt’s vocals are much closer to Chad’s than Geert’s. Geert fit well with the melodic approach taken on That Within Blood Ill-Tempered, but would not have fit this album nearly as well. I don’t quite like Matt’s voice as much as Chad’s for this style, but he doesn’t try to overdo anything and fits the band well. The re-recorded “Set Your Body Ablaze” is a good basis for comparing Matt’s vocal ability to the band’s past singers.

Shai Hulud has survived major obstacles and yet has remained relevant in an ever changing music scene. I wouldn’t normally use sustainability to describe a sound or band, but I honestly think it may be the best description of the band. I have been listening to Misanthropy Pure for a week and half now and I still don’t have any desire to pull it out of the CD player. I’m crossing my fingers that I won’t have to wait until 2013 for something else, but if I do, I couldn’t have asked for much more to hold me over in the meantime.

Musicianship: 95
Vocals: 85
Creativity: 90
Impact: 95

Favorite Song: "Four Earths"

Listen to Shai Hulud

No comments: