blood.sweat.tears music syndicate | est. 5.02

Saturday, May 17, 2003

Review: Limitpoint - We Call This Life

artist: limitpoint
album: we call this life
label: aggrevated music
released:


by: rob tatum

Well, if you are a fan of punk, you might dig this EP. As for me, I can’t get over the fact that Limitpoint sounds like a cross between the Bouncing Souls and a Drive-Thru Records band. When I first put this in, I seriously thought I was back in 1999 listening to the Bouncing Souls at Warped Tour.

As the album continues, it becomes a little more poppy. There are of course the typical “oh, oh, oh’s” thrown in and sappy lyrics here and there. I guess that the most irritating aspect of this release is that the band appears to be pretty decent musicians, but with the intertwining of the genres, they lose base with what they have to work with. The guitar work is pretty good, but nothing extravagant. I don’t necessarily hate this band, but I wish they would pick one genre and go with it. Maybe it’s the singer, maybe it’s the drum beats, but I can’t help but think late 90’s punk even in the most melodic pop parts. I guess that they could actually be just playing what they want to play, and maybe they aren’t trying to mix anything, but if that’s the case, then they have a long way to go before I would want to hear anything else from them.

Unless you are in love with pop punk or the Bouncing Souls (hehe), you probably won’t like this much more than me. As with any disappointing release, I try and look for positives, and with Limitpoint, there are a few. They have musically ability, but they need to lose either the simplistic punk beats, or the poppy sing alongs.

favorite song: "Simple"

rating: 69%/100%

listen to limitpoint

No comments: